Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Secret Life of BeeKeeping





One of the perks of homeschooling is the ability to be spontaneous.







This morning I got a phone call from another homeschool mom, saying "I know this is totally last minute, but we just got invited to go see a man and his bee hives. Do you want to come too?" I said "sure, I'll be there as soon as I get the kids buckled in the car."





Yippee!!! I love field trips. I always have. I felt like a kid bursting with anticipation about what we were going to see and learn.



15 minutes later we were listening to Mr. Smith tell us all about his bee colonies. It was really interesting. I learned alot about bee behavior, and honey harvesting.


My favorite part (other than the free honey), was learning that the drones (boy bees) don't really do any work. All they do is fertilize the eggs that the queen lays. And (this is the best part) every fall, the workers (girl bees) push all the drones out of the colony and they freeze to death over the winter. Then the following spring brand new drones are hatched. (Hmmm)







On the way home, Miles asked me if we can start our own bee colony. "Well, little man, why don't you talk to your Daddy about that one."


2 comments:

myhouseof6 said...

you just saved MY sanity!!! thank you, i feel so out of the mainstream there, i love kelcey and her blog, but i just get so frustrated sometimes. thank you thank you thank you!!! you have a great blog!!
jen

Diane LeBleu said...

Hi! Loved the field trip - reminds me to go see the movie 'The Secret Life of Bees'. Didn't you tell me that was a good read? Anyhoo - your kids are soooo excited to see you soon. You aren't missing Halloween by coming out to TX are you?